Weight shift and rotation

Home Forums Ben Hogan’s Golf Swing Weight shift and rotation

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Vincent Riquier 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Niklas
    Participant

Hi!

Time to start my own swing evolution…
    I think I should start ingraining the correct weight shift and pivot first and build from there.

Any recommendations from this group for suitable drills to ingrain weight shift and rotation? To be able to put in the necessary reps I need to find a way of doing this to a large degree without hitting shots or even holding a club…

It seems my body stalls right after impact causing all sorts of problems.

How would you all go about this with limited range time (sucky weather and full time job to finance golf addiction)?

Btw, fantastic video, Christo!

Niklas

Vincent Riquier
    Participant

Hi!
    I can only tell you what worked for me, another apprentice like you, and try and help you :
    Whenever I got carried away by my arms, not grounding my lower body and achieving proper coordination,and taking advice from one of our instructors, I slightly lifted up my left heel during take away, forcing me to stomp and transfer weight on the way back, after a greater rotation.Lately I have been concentrating on the sequence of the swing,actually not knowing what was initiating it.I start to push the left knee slightly outside the target line, to the right,then rotate the hips, the shoulders, and last fire with the arms as extended as possible.
    You can exercise at home, squatting up and down,and jumping sideways from a foot to the other, and as Christo showed in one of his videos, rehearse the swing, or parts of it (impact position for example) without a club, maybe using a mirror.For rotation, same simple exercises can be done with arms extended, going left and right, progressively bending to the actual swing position.You can eventually use a kettle dumb-bell,going smoothly not to strain your muscles or tendons and stretch. Hope this can be of any help.

Joshua
    Participant

Nicklas,

I also am working on the weight shift and getting my body forward and through the ball. Christo’s baseball analogy made alot of sense to me about how players will lift their foot, plant, and then throw. I tried this as a drill and it has done alot for my timing as well. Lift left foot during back swing..transition and plant left foot and then fire using hip. First time I got a real sensation of what it was like to pull with my hips through the swing.

-Josh

Vincent Riquier
    Participant

Nicklas, I just want to correct a misleading sentence : “moving the left knee outside the target line”.You probably understood I meant, outside the line of the heels of your feet, parallel to the target line.

Vincent

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Vincent Riquier. Reason: errata
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.