Hip slide and rotation during transition

Home Forums Ben Hogan’s Golf Swing Hip slide and rotation during transition

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rick Stevens 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Andy K
    Participant

I’m new to the forum so a quick introduction first. I’m 35, been playing golf since I was 8 and until recently lived in New York City. I sold my company last year to take some time off and I’ve been working on my golf swing for the last five months, spending about 10-12 hours a week on the driving range. Myswinvevolution’s videos on YouTube and The Hogan Code constitute a large part of my self-instruction.

I wanted to start a discussion about hip slide and rotation. I’ve found that just rotating your lower body first and then your upper body doesn’t necessarily move the center of gravity forward far enough. Sliding the hips, even a little, moves the CoG while creating room “behind” me and helping to automatically drop my right elbow into what feels like a slot. Here’s a video of me talking about it:

I looked at a lot of Hogan swings and as far as I can tell he slides a lot. Yes, he rotates his hips, but only after he’s slid a bit and hips continue to move laterally toward the target as he rotates. You can see it on Youtube here:

So my first question is — is hip slide required/ok during the transition? If yes, when does it happen? Does it happen independently of rotation? How much of it should one do? ….

My second question is — how much hip rotation is too much? I compared my positions to Hogan’s and Christo’s and my hips seem to rotate more than theirs in the transition (while keeping the upper body back like they do). Is that bad? Do I need to slow them down?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Andy K.

Andy K
    Participant

I think I found the answer to my own question! I was watching Christo’s Tampa Clinic on Vimeo and in it he talks about the magical 4 inches. He describes how to shift the weight using what he says Lee Trevino called “the slide-turn”. It happens around 17:35 in the video, and it looks a lot like the fourth approach I illustrate in my video.

There’s a drill in the video that Christo shares with the group that’s cut out of the video. Christo, could you share it here? As you say in the video, “I understand the concept intellectually but how am I going to get it into my golf swing?”.

It’ll also help to know how to combine the “Stretch” portion of the “Load, Stretch and Release” with the “slide-turn” as I mention in my video. Those two tend to fight each other.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Andy K.

Bryan Schmidt
    Participant

If you watch Hogan, Nicklaus, miller, Trevino, Palmer, and many other players who had a lot of leg action you will see that initial move starting with the “squash the bug move” with the left foot. Its really hard to squash a bug under your left heel if you have your weight on the right still, so by stomping down that foot you essentially end up with your “bump” into your left side and from there you can see the push coming from the inside of the right foot and through the swing. This is a popular drill so experiment with a towel under your left foot or heel and try and see if you can torque it a little on your downswing. This will get you loading into that side and then able to transition the rest of the lower body while the rest follows.

Christo Garcia
    Keymaster

My “slide” feels to me more like I’m falling left. I want my COG to get back to the ball before I turn, and as I turn it continues to move farther left. I start to fall before I start to rotate which gets my weight shift going without forcing it. The result is what could be called a slide or a bump.

Andy K
    Participant

My “slide” feels to me more like I’m falling left. I want my COG to get back to the ball before I turn, and as I turn it continues to move farther left. I start to fall before I start to rotate which gets my weight shift going without forcing it. The result is what could be called a slide or a bump.

That’s a useful description, thanks. It’s bit different from what you describe in your “load, stretch and and release” videos though. When you stretch from the top it creates a tremendous stretch along the left side (I illustrate this in my video). The hips turn automatically and there is a bit of a slide but it isn’t deliberate. I find that if you slide first you lose some of that stretch. It’s also hard to squat.

Most importantly, and I can’t stress this enough, that small difference produces totally different results. It makes your arms and shoulders do very different things, which makes your swing path and the ball flight very different. My video has a demonstration of this.

Gabe
    Participant

Thanks Andy

Rick Stevens
    Participant

I’ve been reading about Hogan and him actually moving weight to the left during the backswing, ending up with the hip shift occurring before the transition. Christo describes his weight shift as “falling” which would suggest he also may be moving some weight left during the backswing. I think this concept may help me, personally, since i’ve always had a problem with the weight shift i.e. sliding hips way too far left, or just the timing issue. What do others think about this move of the weight – pre-transition or pre-downswing?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.