Long Drive Training

Home Forums Ben Hogan’s Golf Swing Long Drive Training

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  D W 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Shawn
    Participant

Hey Christo,

I just had a couple of questions to start with that I thought other members might be interested in. I’m sure I’ll have plenty more over the next month!

1) Why did you put the oversized grip on your training shaft?
    2) What kind of resistance training are you doing? Is it total body or more emphasis on specific areas (i.e. back)?

Thank you so much- I’m so excited about the new program!

Christo Garcia
    Keymaster

Hey Shawn! Great to hear from you and some good questions.

1) I put that grip on my nice Titleist driver and I lost so much distance I just pulled the shaft out. Since I had this shaft laying around, it’s what I used to start my speed training and it’s worked fantastically well. I don’t think the grip makes much of a difference, however.

2) Good question about resistance training. I keep the work fairly light with high reps and low sets, usually 2. I do mostly focus on my back, legs, and core, not the chest although I will mix in some push ups or chest presses. Stretching is also an important part of my time at the gym.

I hope this gets you on your way. I’m so excited to share this with other folks because it’s kind of crazy how well the system works!

CG

Springsgolfer
    Participant

Hey Christo,

I just finished my second week of long drive training. I changed lifting weights to Monday and Wednesday this week. I do my long drive training on Saturdays. I don’t lift heavy; I’m in maintain mode. My baseline in week one was 90 and today was 88. In week one my max speed was 94 and today was 88. I wasn’t tired today. I need to work on my leverage (use the pic that you posted on Wednesday from Power Golf) and also use more hips. It’s been fun training, and I’m sore. I look forward to next week.

Brian

D W
    Participant

Hey Christo I’m late to the party on this. Any chance of still getting the long drive training video?

juancamilo.hurtadom
    Participant

Hi christo i would like to participate in the long drive program… Im a 15 handicap hitting 250 yards from tee… Looking forward to gain some yards…

Bests regards
    Juan

michael
    Participant

Hello from Boston! Just purchased the Hogan Code and looking forward to rebuilding my swing this winter. Is it too late to sign up for the long drive training? Officially an 8 and hit the ball about 250 at the moment.
    Thanks!
    Mike

Shawn
    Participant

2) Good question about resistance training. I keep the work fairly light with high reps and low sets, usually 2. I do mostly focus on my back, legs, and core, not the chest although I will mix in some push ups or chest presses. Stretching is also an important part of my time at the gym.

I’m curious- why not the chest? I personally have stayed away from the chest because mine is overdeveloped relative to my back. Countering my internal shoulder rotation by working on my back has helped me keep my scaps back and down at address (you mentioned this in the hogan code which helped me tremendously). Is this in line with your thinking on the chest, or do you have a different reason altogether?

Also, when you work the bag at the gym are you focusing mostly on speed? Throwing straights/jabs vs hooks? I was watching one of Brendon’s videos with Tony Luzack, who mentioned they work on speed in the gym with long driver Jeff Flag. He said something about working on quick footwork, which totally seemed like that type of work you have done with martial arts and ballet.

In any case, I tweaked something because I went too hard and/or didn’t stretch properly. I will have to take some time off, but I did see gains from my first session!

pogson
    Participant

Did my first session last Friday (2nd Dec) and started around the 88 mph mark. Got up to a fairly consistent 92 to 93 mph. Will do another session on Monday (12th Dec). The new radar I bought is being replaced due to a fault in the remote, hence the delay.

Is there some web page or forum where we should be updating our progress?

Christo Garcia
    Keymaster

I would recommend lifting one day a week during this and giving yourself at least 3 days, preferably 4 days of rest before resuming speed training. I’ve done it and that’s what works for me but I’m in my 40’s.

Christo Garcia
    Keymaster

All my info on long driving is on my YouTube page but the official selection has closed. Do you have a swing speed radar or something else to record your speed and do you video your swing. If so I might be able to make an exception.

Christo Garcia
    Keymaster

I don’t work my chest very heavy because I believe it interferes with my swing. I see the swing as more of a pulling action that a pushing action.

mike
    Participant

CG,

If it’s not too late. I’d like to join as well.

Christo Garcia
    Keymaster

Hi Mike – yeah, it’s almost over and I’m hoping to have the new video out by Christmas. I really appreciate the interest and I believe our findings will be worth the wait!

anthony_seaton
    Participant

Dang it! I just found this site and am very interested in the long drive training but it looks like I’m late to the party. Look forward to the videos, have really enjoyed what I’ve seen thus far!

D W
    Participant

Hi Christo

Just bought My Driving Evolution. Did u see a big difference in the distance you were hitting irons as well?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.