Driver versus Irons swing

Home Forums Ben Hogan’s Golf Swing Driver versus Irons swing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Shawn 1 year ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Revy
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone else was having concerns with hitting the Driver versus their irons/hybrids/fairway woods. I note that Christo stated he preferred to hit down on his fairway woods as well in “The Black Belt Scoring System” video. But you can’t hit down on a driver…or can you?

So as people experimenting with your own “Hogan swings”, do you guys:
    -tee the ball high, shift your right shoulder down etc., to catch the ball on an upswing?

Most importantly, I want to know what if you guys/Christo change your grip or hand position to help make contact in an upward strike. Reason I ask is because I know Harvey Pennick says to keep the hands toward your thighs at address except when hitting the driver where he would like to see the hands towards the crotch/zipper and behind the clubhead, in order to help create an ascending blow.

So what’s the major difference for swinging with the driver versus swinging with the irons? And if there isn’t one, then someone help me with ball position (location and tee height) because if I place the ball where I’m “supposed to” and “tee it high” and strike the way I do with my irons, I get all sorts of accidents.

Also, Drivers have changed so much now with the bigger faces and increased volume, can you really hit these “new” 460cc drivers the same as the old persimmons? Would Ben Hogan hit a modern driver the same he was hitting his persimmons? What do you guys think, What Adjustments Do You Make for Hitting the Driver VERSUS the Irons

Brian
    Participant

Here is a swing vision of Jordan Spieth. Is his club going up when he makes contact? It doesn’t look like it to me.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Brian.

Brian
    Participant

I posted my thoughts on the “Swinging up” myth on this thread:http://myswingevolution.com/forums/topic/4-inches-in-front/

And no, Mr. Hogan would swing the same now as he did then. The club doesn’t change the fundamentals.

Brian
    Participant

Here is a good one of DJ.
    His hands look to be about 6 inches in front of the ball at impact.

Revy
    Participant

Hey Brian, thanks for the videos and explanations. It actually gave me the confidence to keep with my current swing goals, and saved me from wasting my time trying to create two different swings.

Thank you once again…you’ve got no idea how important it was to see those swings to believe it!

Shawn
    Participant

The trackman data from PGA and LPGA really helps clear up this topic. Basically for most golfers hitting the driver on the way up will generate the most carry distance. But once you acheive a high swing speed (I don’t know the exact number), hitting the ball on the way down will result in the longest carry distance. That is why trackman data for average PGA tour player is -1.3 and for LPGA is +3.0.

If you are going to talk about long drive competitors then things change dramatically and the same rules don’t apply.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.