driver backspin

Home Forums Ben Hogan’s Golf Swing driver backspin

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Christo Garcia 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Nikos Pantelakis
    Participant

Good Day folks,
    I have been working on my drive for the last couple of days and trying to reduce my backspin to gain more yards. I hit it fairly solid(smash factor of 1.4) but my backspin kills me as it is always around 4k-4.5k, my launch angle is fine as well between 11-13 deg. I estimate I lose about 20 total yards (Carry+Roll). Any advice on improving this? Drills to do?

Thanks so much.

Christo Garcia
    Keymaster

I’ve seen spin rates drop dramatically without changing the swing, but changing the shaft and driver head. It may not be your swing, but if you are hitting the ball with too much of a downward blow that could be the problem. In that case you may want to move the ball an inch or so more forward in your stance. Why don’t you give that a try and see how it works?

Christo Garcia
    Keymaster

I’ve seen spin rates drop dramatically without changing the swing, but changing the shaft and driver head. It may not be your swing, but if you are hitting the ball with too much of a downward blow that could be the problem. In that case you may want to move the ball an inch or so more forward in your stance. Why don’t you give that a try and see how it works?

Timo
    Participant

I get “”Hogan swinq” high and spinny ball… its fly 250-260 meters, land and stop… =( Ok here Finland we have very soft fairways etc. I just order couple new shaft let see what’s happening. (Grafaloy x-stiff Blue 75gram and Project X Hazard black X-stiff) my shaft lenght is 44″ and my clubhead is Callaway 816 DBD.

I’m not sure right now if i swing down or up… (attack angle). I think when ball/clubhead speed are enough fast you can swing down because PGA pros seems to do that?

Christo Garcia
    Keymaster

Personally, I like to hit the ball with a slight downswing angle like most PGA pros. I feel like I can’t hit it straight if I catch it one the upswing but most LPGA players and long drivers hit up on it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.